Picatinny Federal Credit Union is a member owned, not-for-profit, financial institution run by a Volunteer Board of Directors. It was established in 1939, as a small credit union with one branch location, serving the employees of the United States Army’s Picatinny Arsenal, a military research and manufacturing facility. In 2005, the credit union was approved for a Community Charter, allowing it to open membership to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Morris County and their immediate family members.
Today Picatinny Federal Credit Union is a full service financial institution with 4 Branch Offices located in Rockaway, Denville, Mt. Olive and on base at Picatinny Arsenal. Continuing to serve its founding members, as well as the greater Morris County Community, Picatinny Federal Credit Union remains committed to providing members with outstanding value and service, through low loan rates, reduced fees, convenient services and automatic enrollment into their Relationship Rewards program.
As the credit union has evolved, so have the banking needs of its member community. Picatinny Federal Credit Union charged R&J Strategic Communications with the task of redesigning its website, replacing an outdated design with a refreshed site, reflective of the credit union’s full suite of financial services.
The project began with a discovery process, interviewing key stakeholders in the organization to ensure that our new design was reflective of the credit union’s brand messaging and technical requirements. A member survey was also conducted, to ensure that the redesigned site also reflected the needs of the member community. From this process the following project requirements were identified:
- The site must be easy to navigate, with the prominent display of current rate information, and seamless integration with the transactional online banking tools supported by third-party financial services vendors.
- The site must be responsive—and remain easy to use across desktop web browsers, as well as tablets and smart phones. As part of the website relaunch, the credit union was also implementing new mobile apps. So the R&J team was required to work with the credit union’s financial services partner to provide a branded skin for the mobile banking apps that matched the branding for the new website.
- As the credit union’s online banking tools were also being upgraded it was necessary for R&J to deliver a project plan so the new website and the new banking tools could launch simultaneously, providing members with a new interface across the entire suite of banking services in a seamless, coordinated user experience.
- The site should reflect the credit union’s position as a local Morris County business, highlighting its strong ties to the community and reinforcing its robust service offerings, while also differentiating itself from the impersonal commercial banks it competes with.
- New language needed to be drafted, to reflect the credit union’s position as a friendlier alternative to commercial institutions, as well as its deep ties to Morris County.
- Photography on the site needed to move from stock art, instead offering images of actual members and real locations from throughout Morris County that would resonate with a local audience. Complicating this challenge, the COVID-19 pandemic required that any photo shoots were reflective of social distancing and hygiene members. Images created for the site also needed to reflect the credit union’s commitment to member safety.
In selecting R&J Strategic Communications for its website relaunch, Picatinny Federal Credit Union was able to leverage our extensive experience across a wide array of the agency’s disciplines to deliver a new online experience for its members, on time and on budget.
Creative & Digital Services
Our creative team delivered a visually engaging and responsive website design across desktop and mobile browsers, and online banking apps. In addition to an attractive, branded color scheme, refined logos, and site navigation, we delivered engaging photos of employees and members across each of the credit union’s branches and in familiar Morris County locations.
Our web developers delivered a state-of-the-art website that is fast, secure, and integrated with the credit union’s financial services tools. We worked hard to ensure that the complex array of features—including loan applications, new account enrollment, and online banking tools—remained easy to access and use by the member community.
Our account services team managed our internal resources and coordinated with the credit union’s financial services vendors to ensure that the project was delivered on time and on budget, and that our launch and the launch of the new banking tools were coordinated, as required, so that their integration was invisible to the member community.
Utilizing resources from across our service areas, the R&J team successfully launched the redesigned PFCU website on time and within budget. Leveraging our team’s expertise in copywriting, design, development, as well as our account management services, the Picatinny Team relied on R&J as a trusted partner in this critical site relaunch. On our client’s behalf we coordinated and implemented the website’s visual design, technical infrastructure, integration with third-party applications. If you have a website project you would like to discuss with the R&J team, please reach out to Tim Gerdes, our Vice President of Digital and Creative Services to see how we can make a difference for your brand.