The web developer on the R&J team is an integral part of our creative services offerings. The right person will be able to creatively approach development challenges to find the right solutions that help our team and our clients meet related goals. This person will be able to work as a part of a team, contributing to our culture in a positive way, and helping build the best products possible. Creative and analytical thinking is a must.
Building and updating new websites for clients requires the ability to outline technical specifications, make recommendations and build according to modern-day web standards and best practices. Maintaining client websites includes adding content, keeping active backups, ensuring the security of the site, and keeping software up to date. The right developer for our team should be as motivated and passionate about web development as we are; someone who believes code is poetry, with an intrinsic beauty all its own; someone who believes that the guts of a website should be just as beautiful as the user interface. We want someone who’s comfortable working as part of a team, sharing ideas and learning from other web geeks.
Core responsibilities include:
- Working with our team on understanding a client’s needs for their website
- Converting PSD website mockups to functional, custom themes in WordPress
- Troubleshooting design issues with CSS, website layouts, graphics, etc, including cross-browser compatibility and responsive design
- Day to day maintenance of existing websites and features
- Maintain direct contact with clients on current and future project work
- Hold and attend client meetings as needed
- Maintain and promote organized files and documents and web development processesProactively maintain a set of code standards for the agency to adhere to
- Maintain regular backups of all client websites
- Track time accurately
At a minimum, you must know/be able to:
- Familiarity with WordPress, the WordPress ecosystem, WordPress security, and optimization.
- Know how to turn Photoshop or Illustrator files into live HTML / functional WordPress themes
- The ability to create custom themes and integrate plugins that are user-friendly and intuitive.
- Version control via Git and Github
- Familiarity with WCAG standards
- Understand SEO best practices
- Have a solid understanding and command of various web hosts and database management tools (MySQL via PhpMyAdmin).
- Stay up to date on current web trends, technologies, and best practices
- Minimum 2 years of agency-related development experience
- Ability to listen and critically analyze client needs
- Proficient skills in Adobe Creative Suite on Mac or PC
- The ability to clearly communicate ideas to team members and clients
- Familiarity with Google Drive, Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager
- Ability to work on-site in our Bridgewater, NJ office
- Flexible work from home, or wherever, policy
- The opportunity to work in a fun, fast-paced growing communications agency in NJ
- The opportunity to work with some of the best clients, on some of the most challenging and interesting projects in the world
- A fun work environment where we take what we do very seriously, but love every second of it
- Full-time salary, health benefits, 401k, paid vacation and sick days, paid holidays, flexible remote working
- Education. We believe in learning a lot, so we make tools available to our team
Show us your work:
We’re interested in seeing the work you’ve done and the code you’ve written. We don’t care if it’s client work or not. If you sufficiently impress us, we’ll invite you to work with us and crank out some beautiful code for some awesome clients.
This is a permanent position beginning as soon as we find the right person. This position reports to the VP, Creative and Digital Services and is on-site in Bridgewater, NJ.
Send a resume with a letter of intent with your skill set and some samples of your work and we’ll get the ball rolling.
Resumes without work samples will not be reviewed.