Public Relations Intern
We are looking for a responsible college student or recent graduate with strong organization skills actively pursuing a career in public relations, marketing or communications. Applications with previous public relations internships and/or experience and strong writing skills highly preferred, but not required for the right candidate.
All of our positions require creativity, strategic thinking, and outstanding written and oral communication skills.
As a full-service integrated communications agency voted one of the Best Places to Work in New Jersey for 2022, every day at R&J brings new challenges, chances to Make a Difference, and opportunities for professional growth in a flexible, hybrid environment.
What sets R&J apart from other internship programs?
With a range of clients in the commercial real estate, health care and not for profit industries, our interns are truly an extension of our team. No getting coffee or running meaningless errands, just real hands-on work that our interns sink their teeth into and help us drive meaningful results from day one.
As an intern, you’re a valuable part of the team. You’ll have the chance to participate in our triannual State of the Agency meetings as well as new business and client brainstorm sessions, join internal team meetings, participate in community service events and attend social outings including happy hours, holiday parties and more.
We don’t like to brag, but we’ve been following our flexible “Work from Wherever” policy since 2017. Today, we continue to empower our employees to choose where they work and when they work, as long as they get their work done and keep an open line of communication with their team and clients. As an intern, you’ll also be free to Work from Wherever but we designate weekly in-office days to give you an opportunity to meet our team, form personal connections, and benefit from valuable in-person collaboration.
Make a Difference
At R&J, our mission is to Make a Difference for our clients, for our team members and for our communities. In addition to delivering exceptional work for our clients and creating a welcoming atmosphere for every team member, we are committed to Making a Difference in our communities by taking on work for clients that makes a positive impact. We also give our team members the time, resources and opportunities to give back in ways that are meaningful to them.
We offer an open forum for employees to suggest causes and volunteer opportunities important to them and come together as an agency to support those organizations, whether we’re joining a beach cleanup, collecting shoes for those in need, or hosting school supply drives for students in local communities.
We also recognize our employees for living these values with our quarterly Make a Difference Award. Originating from our brand statement, the Make a Difference Award is given to a team member who goes above and beyond making a difference for the agency, its clients and in the community and must be nominated by his or her fellow colleagues. Along with a physical award, each award winner receives a monetary prize and R&J makes a donation in their name to the charity or organization of their choice.
What you’ll learn:
Consider this your crash course in PR. By the end of your R&J internship, we’ll ensure you’ll know how to:
- Effectively write press releases
- Craft media pitches to get reporters’ attention by leveraging recent data, seasonal observances and trending topics in the news cycle
- Conduct media research and build targeted media lists using a media database
- Provide event-based PR support and outreach including drafting media alerts, conducting follow-up calls, and attending at least one client event
- Gain insight into content marketing and integrated marketing campaigns that mix PR, social media and digital tactics
- Develop meeting agendas, compile coverage reports, and other meeting materials and sit in on at least three client meetings
- Clip and file secured coverage in our media database
What you’ll work on:
Upon hire, you will receive a laptop and be assigned to either our healthcare or CRE teams.
Who you are:
- A college student with a major in communications, public relations, marketing or a related area OR a recent college graduate pursuing a career in public relations
- A skilled writer with strong communication skills
- Ability to work 15-25 hours 2-3 days per week (part-time) OR Monday-Friday (full-time)
- Ability to attend in-person meetings 1-2 times per week at our Bridgewater, NJ office (exceptions for extenuating circumstances)
- Previous public relations internship experience is a plus but not required
- Fall PR Intern
- Preference given to those who apply by August 5 (applications accepted on as-needed basis until August 31)
- Term: September – December
- Spring PR Intern
- Preference given to those who apply by December 5 (applications accepted on as-needed basis until December 31)
- Term: January – April
- Summer PR Intern
- Preference given to those who apply by May 5 (applications accepted on as-needed basis until May 31)
- Term: May – August
- Full-time PR Intern
- Full-time PR Intern applicants accepted on a rolling basis for a 3-month internship