Director of Business Development
The ideal director of business development will work with the Agency Principals and Senior Management Team to develop a business development and growth plan and play a major role on new business by working with Management to oversee the business development function as outlined on the following page.
The Director of Business Development at R&J Public Relations supports the Agency Principals and Senior Management Team in developing new business initiatives directed at the successful long-term growth of the agency and the development of strategic partnerships while building awareness and positive perceptions of the R&J Public Relations brand. In short, the Director of Business Development builds the agency’s market position by locating, developing, defining, negotiating, and helping to close business relationships that increase the agency’s revenues and profits.
- Work with the Agency Principals and Senior Management Team to develop a business development and growth plan.
- Play a major role on new business by working with Management to oversee the business development function:
- Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization,
- Maintain an ongoing “pipeline” of prospects,
- Forecast sales targets and ensure they are met by the team,
- Research and reach out to prospects, and turn this into increased business,
- Build, maintain and track new business database status and reporting this status regularly to management,
- Cold call as appropriate within our market and/or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities,
- Screen inbound requests,
- Manage RFP responses,
- Assist in the drafting of new business proposals and presentations,
- Research and build relationships with new clients; meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network,
- Monitor and report to Management proactively on news about prospects, with recommendations for action steps.
- Provide hands-on support to the Senior Management Team for new business pitches, assisting with areas from ideation to presentation development.
- Monitor external and internal environment to recommend development of new market segments for the Agency.
- Maintain new business databank of tools, case histories, bios, RFPs, programs, etc.
- Work with the Agency’s staff to create marketing programs that showcase the agency’s strengths and reach target audiences.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Regularly attend relevant business functions as a representative of the Agency.
- Uphold the mission and values established by the organization.
Skills & Qualifications
Strategic Thinking, Market Knowledge, Prospecting Skills, Communication and Presentation Skills, Motivation for Sales, Closing Skills, Sales Planning, Selling to Customer Needs, Meeting Sales Goals, Professionalism. Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.