By Gina Orlando, Intern, R&J Public Relations
When you work in public relations, the holidays can be the busiest, and perhaps the most stressful, time of year. In PR, this is the time where we begin to wrap up the current year, finalize plans for the year ahead and work feverishly to help our clients get through the holidays, as well. At the same time, we’re also worrying about personal shopping lists, errands, and festivities of our own. With all that goes on during this short amount of time, it is important to take a step back once in a while and enjoy this wonderful time of year. I began my internship at R&J Public Relations right at the brink of the holiday season, and since then, we have taken several steps to help bring the holiday spirit into the office.
- Decorate. No matter what holiday you celebrate, it is uplifting to see your surroundings decorated for the season. Whether it is one person or the whole office participating, it will benefit everyone when they walk in everyday and see the seasonal and fun décor.
- Plan holiday themed activities. At R&J, we held a holiday bake-off in which all employees participated. Between cookies, brownies, cakes and everything in between, we had a blast sampling it all and getting the opportunity to discuss our creations with fellow employees. And let us not forget the winning dish, apple pie pizza!
- Arrange a Secret Santa. Though many may not be fond of this tradition, Secret Santa is one of the best ways to build relationships with co-workers that you may not have had the chance to get to know before. Take this as an opportunity to find out details about one of your colleagues and present them with something personal and special.
- Prepare a donation. ‘Tis the season of giving. While we are so focused on our workload and deadlines, it is nice to think about those less fortunate. Collectively donate to a charity that your company cares about. It feels good to do good around the holidays, and it will reflect back into your work.
- Organize a holiday party. Organizing a holiday party is, in my opinion, one of the best ways to spread cheer around the office. It is a great way to get everyone together, enjoy great food, and celebrate the holidays as well as the end of a successful year. It does not have to be held somewhere fancy or expensive for it to be great; even a party in your very own office can help boost holiday spirit.
By bringing some holiday cheer into the office, it is guaranteed to bond co-workers and increase overall morale within your company during this busy season.
Happy Holidays from R&J Public Relations!